Re: Anti-malware for my personal Debian workstation?

On Du, 12 apr 20, 09:17:18, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 09:52:50AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > There are sufficient tutorials advising to download random scripts and
> > run with root privileges.
>
> My fave still is
>
>   curl https://random.site.net/script | sudo bash
>
> And there are still people out there who even advocate it [1].
>
> I think I was three when my mom taught me not to stuff random scripts
> ...uh stuff I found on the street into my mouth.

Excelent analogy :)

> Cheers
> [1] https://gist.github.com/btm/6700524

Thanks for that, I haven't thought of the potential for unintended
damage mentioned in the comments (e.g. due to incomplete download,
overriding already installed software, etc.).

>     (but then, it's Github, so Microsoft, so what do you expect?)
>     (Yah, I know this gist probably predates takeover, So what?)

Unless the platform (owner) is curating the content its not fair to
blame it on them. There's enough out there to blame Microsoft for, this
is *until now* not one of them.

Kind regards,
Andrei