Re: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps

On Du, 12 apr 20, 09:43:08, Curt wrote:
> On 2020-04-12, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Just to clarify, the privacy concern here is the software accessing the
> > internet without explicit user consent, regardless of what it is using
>
> That's not my understanding. I understood the OP explicitly "ran" the
> Gnome Maps program, which kind of connects to the Internet by definition
> (and performs fun functions other than eventually pinpointing the user
> on a map).

Obviously I failed at my attempt at clarity :)

I was only trying to point out that just querying an external geoip
database has similar privacy implications as any regular internet access
(the server will learn your IP and can, at will, get your aproximate
location from a geoip database).

The above point is unrelated to whether the software in question does
more than that (I don't know) or if the OP should care about it (his
choice).

Kind regards,
Andrei