Re: Synaptic error

On 04/12/2020 08:46 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 08:43:12AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
Using Synaptic I:
1. searched package names for "info"
2. selected it
3. clicked Apply
4. received error message saying
E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file descriptor -1
E: Unable to lock the download directory

Question: is there a /var/cache/apt/archives directory? There should
be one.

Cheers
-- t

No.
The content of /var/cache/apt is pkgcache.bin  & srcpkgcache.bin  .
As I said, there has been no previous problem with Synaptic.
Where would I look for cause of missing archives sub-directory?
Is it safe to blindly create it?