Re: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps

On 2020-04-12, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was only trying to point out that just querying an external geoip
> database has similar privacy implications as any regular internet access
> (the server will learn your IP and can, at will, get your aproximate
> location from a geoip database).
>
> The above point is unrelated to whether the software in question does
> more than that (I don't know) or if the OP should care about it (his
> choice).

It's a bug and geoclue queries location.services.mozilla.com regardless
of user settings to the contrary. "Upstream said it was intentional to
not be able to disable location sharing." And the user is hoodwinked
into believing he can indeed disable it. Hard to believe, but
true. I think Bigonville's use of the term "misleading" is a euphemism.

But maybe I'm wrong again somehow.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/issues/885