Re: how to keep 2 PCs partially in sync

On 4/7/20 9:50 AM, Anastasios Lisgaras wrote:
On 4/6/20 9:43 PM, Peter Ehlert wrote:
independent software. He uses encryption on some files and folders and I don't. I don't know what software he uses. Perhaps syncthing has such a tool, I never looked for one.

Ok, thanks! It would be very interesting if it has a built-in encryption and decryption feature. Although this of course is independent. You can have a sync directory of only encrypted files - it's up to you.

he uses files and folders within the various sync folders... no need for some special filing system if you don't want.

I do Not sync any active working data. It is first copied to the sync folder, that then syncs with the other nodes. syncthing provides zero storage. It is a transfer/sync tool between separate hardware.
the "cloud" is user owned and controlled.

That's what I understood about Syncthing.
The data is *distributed* between the devices and not on a central server somewhere (like Nextcloud). It's a decentralized!
I think that's the main difference between Syncthing and Nextcloud ?

now I clearly recall after visiting and reviewing the nextcloud documentation, that need for a designated server was the deal killer.

that together with the apparent need for paid licensing for business use... not interested.

separate use, it was a sidebar comment. I only use them for small specific purposes as needed.
Dropbox is easy to use for sharing with others.
Mega syncs photos and files between my Androids and my computers gracefully, then I copy data to my system.

So, let me suggest something too (if you have the resources for one more machine). Try to use Nextcloud for this use, so your data will never remain in the hands of others - other than yourself and those who want to send it.
maybe someday I will get curious and see.
syncthing is doing it already, not really interested

try it yourself

Thank you! :-)
you are welcome