Re: how to keep 2 PCs partially in sync

On 4/5/20 4:53 PM, Peter Ehlert wrote:
I have not tried Nextcloud or ownCloud for a couple years. I only remember both being either too complex or missing the options I wanted.

What options did you not have with the own/Nextloud ?

[...]

You can send the 56 character "device identification" to another to setup a sync of machines, then sync the specific folders you like.

I saw that *Syncthing* uses this method to recognize devices. Is it safer than Nextcloud approach ? (so it seems at least)

Critical files can be encrypted individually by other means if you like.

The "other means" provided from *Syncthing* or do you mean independent software that you can use in any approach ?

This laptop syncs 6 folders with 5 computers, Three are LAN (wifi and cabled thru the router) Two are offsite.

Do you mean offline? Only with local/internal access ?

Local State (Total)  216,932 files   59,099 folders   ~298 GiB total
ALL data being synced is a Copy of the working data (true backup)
ALL nodes have staggered Backups.

What exactly do you mean; could you please be more detailed?
Syncthing also uses *central* storage from all workplaces with backup strategies ?

I also use Mega and Dropbox... both are slower, and Dropbox does have fallout (missing files or corrupt files)

Why do this ?
Do you use highly secure open source software and then give access to your data to services like dropbox ??? :-o

Try all and see what you prefer. Best wishes.

I actually want to use *Syncthing* for a long time (since I first read about it, enthusiastic about the security and approach it offers) but just because of the *Nextcloud* I have not come to the need if I do. And that is the truth to be honest.

--
Kind regards,
Tasos