Re: advisable to use installer script?

On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 08:49:53PM +0200, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> Regarding Python and R modules of unknown quality. What quality?

My question exactly. Who build it? From which source? What toolchain was
in use? How can I build the same in a reproduceable way? What else was
bundled along the way? What about upgrading and deleting a module
(installing is always the easiest part)?

> Debian doesn't magically make any python module better or safer.

Yet it's known which source was used, which toolchain was there and
there are guarantees that the module in question does not change its
behaviour in the next five minutes.
Oh, and there are distribution-specific patches which *do* make packages
better and safer, python included. And, what's most important here -
compatible with *other* packages.

> Debian just packages a python module provided by upstream and can
> possibly provide some additional patches and support.

Nope, see above. Building a distribution is an engineering task more
complex than you seem to think it is.

> There are pros and cons for both apt and conda, but it totally depends
> on the use case.

Sure. On apt's side there's unified way to install/upgrade/delete
anything, and on conda's side there's turning your system into
Slackware.

> So in general it is totally fine to use anaconda installer.

I agree. They call the Debian the Universal OS because it can take an
impressive amount of such punishment from the determined user *and*
remain operational to a certain degree.
And it's hardly matters whenever the offending "tool" is called conda,
pip or docker.

Reco