Re: advisable to use installer script?

	Hi.

On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 09:43:48AM -0500, Anil F Duggirala wrote:
> hello,
> I am looking to install Anaconda in my machine, Debian Buster. There
> suggested installation method is using an installer that is downloaded
> from their site.

I'm assuming it's this one: https://www.anaconda.com/distribution/#linux
Somehow I find it unlikely that you want to install RHEL's installer
(called anaconda too) on Debian.

> Is it advisable to install software in this manner?

No more or no less than running arbitrary binary from the nearest warez
dump. I.e. there are few cases when you can probably get away with it,
but you're risking doing it.

> Can anyone give a broad idea of what this install script does?

Extracts a HUEG tar.bz2 archive full of (presumably) Python and R
modules of unknown quality. Why would anyone (short of Windoze user)
willingly use this anaconda given the existence of pip and CRAN is
beyond me.
In Debian we have apt for this, and I kindly suggest you to consider
using it instead.

> Does make changes to my system files?

Unlikely, script *seems* to be limited to user-writable $PREFIX.
A quick look at the script contents haven't revealed anything fishy.
But I haven't run it, and do not intend to.

At most you're risking running some cryptominer (with user privileges)
or stealing/damaging the contents of your $HOME. Just do not run the
thing as root.

Reco