Re: Serial Port Issues

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> What has agetty to do with not being able to access a port?
>
>> I doubt it's that. 9600 is a sort of default these days, and a serial
>> port which could not use it would be of limited use. The XBee radio
>> modules, for example, come from the factory running at 9600, though of
>> course they will go much higher. But the configuration utility must run
>> at 9600 to begin with.
>
> Besides, the wrong baud rate wouldn't preclude a program from *reading*
> from a serial interface. It would just get garbage, that's all.
>
> Besides, a wrong baud rate would much less explain that writing is
> possible, but reading isn't. Not for classical "serials" (i.e. RS-232).

Well, I must admit you are right (once again). I don't agree with Joes
statement that 9600 is default.

I just now have a memory enlight. I was also not able to write on the RPIs
UART port until I disabled the hardware flow control. Found out that for
the UART it doesn't matter if soft/hard is enabled or not.

[   | F - Hardware Flow Control : No
[   | G - Software Flow Control : No

it is worth checking