Re: Debian Stretch broken !

Le 05/04/2020 08:24, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
On Vi, 03 apr 20, 20:41:06, Bernard wrote:
Hi to Everyone,
Having done some minor resettings on alsamixer with no results, I thought I
had to reboot.

But : "Oh no, something has gone wrong..."

Apparently I missed this on first read, and though you are being dropped
to the rescue console.

Starting X as root is not recommended. I would suggest instead you run
(as root):

     apt install xinit
     systemctl set-default multi-user.target

and then boot "normally" (this time in text mode).

Log in with your normal user and try running 'startx' from the console.
In case it stops with some error messages we need those.

The on screen results of such trials have been photographied and are available at the urls below :

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0923.jpg

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0925.jpg

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0926.jpg

This includes the results of the 'startx' trials.

Doing this, I have been able to login as user, which confirms that '/home/user' was still available. A random check confirmed that most or likely all files were still there on /home/bd

a 'df' test still didn't show any

'/dev/sda2'

partition, but, as mentioned before, I doubt if there was any such partition before ; in my other computers I have none, if I except the more than ten years old systems. Nice to understand that, without such partition, the /home/bd is available

I have been able to access

/var/log/messages

and other similar files, and to copy them onto an USB External Hard drive. These hold tens of thousands of lines, and I don't know which keywords to search for, but these said files are available upon request, or I can search them if someone suggests keywords.

To revert to graphical login you must run (as root):

     systemctl set-default graphical.target

Best regards,

Bernard