Re: Debian Stretch broken !

On Vi, 03 apr 20, 20:41:06, Bernard wrote:
> Hi to Everyone,
> Having done some minor resettings on alsamixer with no results, I thought I
> had to reboot.
>
> But : "Oh no, something has gone wrong..."
>
> So, I am writing this message from my other laptop running Ubuntu 14.04
>
> I tried to reboot in rescue mode, but I don't know what to do from there.

Apparently I missed this on first read, and though you are being dropped
to the rescue console.

> 'startx' says that it doesn't have the proper files to launch startx as
> root.

Starting X as root is not recommended. I would suggest instead you run
(as root):

    apt install xinit
    systemctl set-default multi-user.target

and then boot "normally" (this time in text mode).

Log in with your normal user and try running 'startx' from the console.
In case it stops with some error messages we need those.

To revert to graphical login you must run (as root):

    systemctl set-default graphical.target

Hope this helps,
Andrei