Debian Stretch broken !

Hi to Everyone,
Having done some minor resettings on alsamixer with no results, I thought I had to reboot.

But : "Oh no, something has gone wrong..."

So, I am writing this message from my other laptop running Ubuntu 14.04

I tried to reboot in rescue mode, but I don't know what to do from there. 'startx' says that it doesn't have the proper files to launch startx as root.

login
bd

says : wrong login (doesn't even ask a pswd)

I remember a few years back on older versions, I had used 'System Rescue CD', but this said CD, provided that I find it, would probably no work on this system

Thanks in advance for your help so that I can expect to boot my system without loss of data

By the way: not only did I reset alsamixer prior to rebooting, also I had accepted an automatic system upgrade this morning.

Bernard