Re: How can I see only the latest change log of packages before update ?

On 3/29/20 10:22 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2020-03-29 at 15:10, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
>> On Du, 29 mar 20, 14:47:57, The Wanderer wrote:
>>
>>> On my system, when I run
>>>
>>> apt-get dist-upgrade
>>>
>>> and say "yes" to the list of packages, the following things happen:
>>>
>>> * apt-get downloads all the packages, but does not install them yet.
>>> * apt-listchanges kicks in, automatically extracts and/or downloads the
>>>   necessary changelogs for all the packages just downloaded, and
>>>   presents just the new parts (relative to the already-installed
>>>   package version).
>>> * After I exit the pager which displays the changelogs, apt-listchanges
>>>   gives me a prompt to confirm whether I want to continue the upgrade
>>>   or not.
>>> * If I say yes, the upgrade proceeds. If I say no, apt-listchanges
>>>   aborts the upgrade process.
>>>
>>> This sounds like exactly what you want, handled purely automatically. Do
>>> you not get this behavior (or a comparable one) with apt-listchanges
>>> installed on your system?
>>
>> As far as I recall, by default apt-listchanges displays only NEWS items,
>> not changelogs (which reminds me I should install it on my systems).
>
> If so, that must be a change in defaults from when I installed it. I
> don't remember ever adjusting configuration in this regard (although
> that's not an absolutely conclusive data point, as my memory is not
> perfect).
>
> The man page confirms that, though; it says that NEWS is the default,
> and this can be changed with the 'which' option. Indeed, my
> /etc/apt/listchanges.conf includes a line reading 'which=both'.
>
> For the OP: you might want to try with that setting, and see whether the
> results match what you want.

Yes you are right, by default only shows the news (important news items
only) and I chose *both* : *detailed changelogs + news*

To adjust it to your preference, you simply need to execute:

dpkg-reconfigure apt-listchanges

or just edit the file: `/etc/apt/listchanges.conf`.

Initially by default I had these settings:
```
cat /etc/apt/listchanges.conf

[apt]
frontend=pager
which=news
email_address=root
email_format=text
confirm=true
headers=false
reverse=false
save_seen=/var/lib/apt/listchanges.db
```

but now I have chosen the following:
```
cat /etc/apt/listchanges.conf

[apt]
frontend=text
which=both
email_address=root
email_format=text
confirm=true
headers=true
reverse=false
save_seen=none
no_network=false
```

And I had the amazing result I was looking for from the beginning:
https://pastebin.com/raw/BEZMX67D

Thank you very much for your interest, help & time! :-)

--
Kind regards,
Tasos