Re: linux-image-4.9.0-12-amd64 breaks LUKS root

David Christensen wrote:

> CVS says /etc/crypttab was last changed on March 15.
>

> 'find /etc/initramfs-tools/ -type f | xargs ls -lt' says the newest file
> in /etc/initramfs-tools was changed on Feb 2.
>

> The error message I am seeing occurs when some stage boot loader or the
> kernel (?) is prompting for the passphrase to decrypt the root
> partition.  So, root is not mounted and /etc is not available.

go into initram shell and check what is missing

The initramfs holds the necessary files - might be something is missing

> I can boot the previous kernel, so the LUKS file structures on disk are
> okay.
>

> The error is repeatable if I insert the drive into another machine with
> a different model motherboard.

not necessary - what would you expect - you are on the same disk.

> A different system drive with the  4.0.9-12 kernel and LUKS root works
> in that machine.
>

> I have several other Debian systems.  They all upgraded to kernel
> 4.9.0-12 and LUKS root works correctly.
>

> My guess is that:
>
> /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-12-amd64
>
> was built wrong by the kernel upgrade post install script (?).
>

> I have filed a bug report:

Could be. But it is usually a result of some local configuration specific

You can extract the content of working and not working initrd and compare
the content. Or go into the shell init=/bin/sh and check what is wrong.

lsinitramfs will give you the content of the initrd