Re: How can I see only the latest change log of packages before update ?

On 2020-03-29 at 14:42, Anastasios Lisgaras wrote:

> On 3/24/20 3:46 AM, David Wright wrote:
>
>> Then you have to split the upgrade command into a download-only part
>> (-d in apt-get, and I assume it's the same in apt), and the installing
>> part itself (with no -d).
>
>> man apt-listchanges says:
>>
>>     apt-listchanges [[options...]] {[--apt] | [package.deb...]}
>>                                                       ↑↑↑↑
>>
>> so you have to give it the actual filename (after the download part,
>> of course), and not just the name of the package.
>>

> Okay, How can I do that for each upgradeable package ?

On my system, when I run

apt-get dist-upgrade

and say "yes" to the list of packages, the following things happen:

* apt-get downloads all the packages, but does not install them yet.
* apt-listchanges kicks in, automatically extracts and/or downloads the
  necessary changelogs for all the packages just downloaded, and
  presents just the new parts (relative to the already-installed
  package version).
* After I exit the pager which displays the changelogs, apt-listchanges
  gives me a prompt to confirm whether I want to continue the upgrade
  or not.
* If I say yes, the upgrade proceeds. If I say no, apt-listchanges
  aborts the upgrade process.

This sounds like exactly what you want, handled purely automatically. Do
you not get this behavior (or a comparable one) with apt-listchanges
installed on your system?

--
   The Wanderer