Re: Issue with i915 PSR module option

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 09:05:16PM +0100, l0f4r0@tuta.io wrote:
> >> I suppose I'm expected now to download my potential missing firmwares
> >> for module i915
> >> from https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/i915 and
> >> move them to /lib/firmware/i915?
> >
> > Depends on your card. Intel GPU Gen 6 (Skylake, 2015) and higher usually
> > require it. Anything older works happily without any firmware.
> >
> Ok, I have a Kaby Lake so a bit more recent than Sky Lake.
> Isn't it strange that update-initramfs tells me that some firmwares
> not corresponding to my processor generation could be missing? Doesn't
> the tool compare firmwares with actual hardware used?
>
> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/icl_dmc_ver1_07.bin for module i915
> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/tgl_dmc_ver2_04.bin for module i915
> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_huc_ver01_8_2893.bin for module i915

I apply the following approach to it - if it works - it does not need
firmware blobs. Even if update-initramfs may thinks it will be useful to
include those, because it merely looks at "firmware" section of "modinfo
i915" output in this case.

If dmesg tells you your current kernel tries to load those firmware
pieces and fails, and you experience some missing functionality (X won't
start, OpenGL fails to work, VAAPI fails you) - then firmware's probably
needed.

> > They are, but they aren't in main archive (non-libre, no source code).
> >
> My apt sources.list includes main, contrib and non-free.
> I don't find the firmwares in Debian packages, only a bxt_huc old one:
> $ apt-file search icl_dmc_ver
> $ apt-file search tgl_dmc_ver
> $ apt-file search bxt_huc_ver

Even experimental does not have those.