Re: Change in plans (was: Re: Another possible device (was: Re: OT: Questions about (buying and) using a laptop docking station))

On 2020-03-28 12:18, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

I received the Wavlink device, but I'm fairly certain I'm going to return it
and give up on it.  (I'm not clear on what software / drivers I'd have to find
and install, and the device says it doesn't support Linux (but does mention
that it works with Ubuntu 14.<something> -- I guess Ubuntu is no longer Linux
;-)

I was hoping that I'd be able to find a manual or an installation guide online
before I received (or opened) the package, but I did not.

When happens when you connect the docking station to a USB 2.0 port on your Dell 1501 laptop? What does dmesg report?

What is the make and model of the Express Card dual 3.0 adapter?

What happens when you power down, insert the ExpressCard dual 3.0 adapter, and boot? What does dmesg report?

What happens when you connect a USB flash drive to a USB 3.0 port? What does dmesg report? Can mount mount the USB flash drive filesystem from your desktop?

What happens when you connect the docking station to a USB 3.0 port? What does dmesg report?

David