Change in plans (was: Re: Another possible device (was: Re: OT: Questions about (buying and) using a laptop docking station))

On Tuesday, March 24, 2020 08:32:27 AM rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, March 22, 2020 08:37:48 PM rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > In that other thread, I point out that I decided to buy a Wavlink 3.0
> > docking station (with HDMI, DVI, and VGA video outputs) (on sale today at
> > Newegg) and a dual USB 3.0 ExpressCard on ebay (for under $10).

...< lots of detail snipped >...

> Like I say, I ordered the Wavlink device, so at this time, I have no need
> to pursue this other device any further, but maybe it would prove useful
> to someone else.

I received the Wavlink device, but I'm fairly certain I'm going to return it
and give up on it.  (I'm not clear on what software / drivers I'd have to find
and install, and the device says it doesn't support Linux (but does mention
that it works with Ubuntu 14.<something> -- I guess Ubuntu is no longer Linux
;-)

I was hoping that I'd be able to find a manual or an installation guide online
before I received (or opened) the package, but I did not.

In view of lots of things (including the shelter in place orders), I think
I'll just pass for the time being, and take the refund (less the return
shipping) and save it for a replacement laptop in the future.  I've pretty
much come to the conclusion that I'll want it to have a USB-C port.

(Aside: I am a little disappointed in the laptops I looked at in the last day
or so, either online or at Staples -- I am used to doing things like replacing
some of the internal devices myself, through covers that are fairly easy to
remove (things like adding RAM or replacing the hard drive (or even the
battery).

On one of the HPs I looked at yesterday, I came home and found a manual
online) -- even replacing the battery requires removing the entire bottom
cover, and it mentions 56 screws of various sizes that may need to be removed
as you go further (some much further than I'd ever expect so go -- I mean like
replacing the keyboad or main board), and cautions against any but an
authorized service center doing that kind of work (I mean, including things
like the battery, RAM, or hard drive).

The authorized service center doesn't bother me (I mean, I'd probably tackle
whatever I wanted myself despite that warning), but it sounds like a real
bother.

)