Re: network-manager takes 1-4 restarts in order to recognize and connect to already-configured wifi network, USB dongle NIC

Hi there,

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020, David Wright wrote:
On Sun 29 Mar 2020 at 13:46:05 (+0100), G.W. Haywood wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2020, Alan Tu wrote:
> > > ... "Debian testing" system ... network-manager 1.22.8-1. ...
> > # systemctl restart network-manager
> > After one to four times of this, eventually network-manager
> > establishes the network connection.
> > It seems to me that network-manager is only really useful for people
> with no more knowledge of their network configuration than the average
> Windows user.  If you have already configured your network connections
> I guess that you know more about your networks than that (very likely
> more than the authors of network-manager too).  Therefore it can do
> little but harm to allow network-manager to get itself involved.

I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to insult FOSS developers
in this manner. Please desist.

You presumably have a network of your own - it would be very difficult
for you to converse on a mailing list without one - and obviously you
know a lot more about that network than I do.  That doesn't feel the
slightest bit insulting to me, and I don't see how my statement of the
obvious can be construed as an insult to anyone.  It wasn't intended
to be, and if it came across that way I apologize.  However I stand by
my assertion that if you have a working network already set up, then
unless you have specific reason to do otherwise it's probably best to
leave it alone.  As they often say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Have you submitted bug reports? That's how they improve Debian testing.

Perhaps didn't see the email address that I used.

--

73,
Ged.