Re: HTML mail + PDF attachments

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 21:51:51 -0700
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> On 2020-03-25 20:03, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > At the moment I am running neo-mutt on Debian 9.  Once or twice a
> > day I receive a HTML message, typically with a PDF file as an
> > attachment. Picking out and viewing the links and attachments
> > always is a hassle, and sometimes is rather difficult.
> >
> > Rather than hassle with mutt, I hoped to install an auxiliary mail
> > client with GUI (such as Thunderbird) with which I could open such
> > messages, view the links, and print the attachments.
> >
> > But Thunderbird is demanding the URLs of POP and SMPT servers, and I
> > do not wish to allow Thunderbird to mess around with my mail, other
> > than viewing specific messages.
> >
> > One approach would be to get a mail account strictly for this
> > purpose, and set up a complete Thunderbird mail system using that
> > account.
> >
> > But is there a better solution?
> >
> > RLH
>
> If you configure all your e-mail clients to leave the messages on the
> server, you should be able to access the same e-mail server account
> from multiple clients.  Current clients using IMAP seem to work this
> way (Thunderbird, Apple Mail).

IMAP is intended to keep the mail on the server, POP3 isn't.

> When I used POP (POP3?) clients in the past (Outlook Express,
> Outlook, Thunderbird), the clients defaulted to downloading and
> removing messages from the server.

That is the normal behaviour of POP3. It was widely offered in the days
of expensive disc space, when mail hosting businesses didn't want to
store your email.

> I don't know if that was part of
> POP or a setting in the client.  If the latter, you might be able to
> tune your POP clients to leave the messages on the server.  This
> would enable access from multiple clients.

There is a POP3 directive KEEP which is used for debugging and does not
delete the mail on the server.

--
Joe