Re: HTML mail + PDF attachments

On Mar 25, 2020, David Christensen wrote:
> On 2020-03-25 20:03, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > At the moment I am running neo-mutt on Debian 9.  Once or twice a day
> > I receive a HTML message, typically with a PDF file as an attachment.
> > Picking out and viewing the links and attachments always is a hassle,
> > and sometimes is rather difficult.
> >
> > Rather than hassle with mutt, I hoped to install an auxiliary mail
> > client with GUI (such as Thunderbird) with which I could open such
> > messages, view the links, and print the attachments.
> >
> > But Thunderbird is demanding the URLs of POP and SMPT servers, and I
> > do not wish to allow Thunderbird to mess around with my mail, other
> > than viewing specific messages.
> >
> > One approach would be to get a mail account strictly for this purpose,
> > and set up a complete Thunderbird mail system using that account.
> >
> > But is there a better solution?
> >
> > RLH
>
> If you configure all your e-mail clients to leave the messages on the
> server, you should be able to access the same e-mail server account from
> multiple clients.  Current clients using IMAP seem to work this way
> (Thunderbird, Apple Mail).
>

> When I used POP (POP3?) clients in the past (Outlook Express, Outlook,
> Thunderbird), the clients defaulted to downloading and removing messages
> from the server.  I don't know if that was part of POP or a setting in the
> client.  If the latter, you might be able to tune your POP clients to
> leave the messages on the server.  This would enable access from
> multiple clients.

It is a property of POP itself. It's exactly like a post office (well,
more specifically, a PO box) -- once you've removed your letters from
the post office, they don't have a copy anymore.  And, as I understand
it, kind of the reason for it being named "Post Office Protocol".

As you said, the correct approach would be utilizing IMAP -- however,
whether or not there is IMAP access is entirely dependent on the
server's configuration.  Offhand I don't know of any that _only_ support
POP3 these days; but there's always the chance of that.

--
|_|O|_|