Re: HTML mail + PDF attachments

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 09:51:51PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
If you configure all your e-mail clients to leave the messages on the server, you should be able to access the same e-mail server account from multiple clients. Current clients using IMAP seem to work this way (Thunderbird, Apple Mail).

When I used POP (POP3?) clients in the past (Outlook Express, Outlook, Thunderbird), the clients defaulted to downloading and removing messages from the server. I don't know if that was part of POP or a setting in the client. If the latter, you might be able to tune your POP clients to leave the messages on the server. This would enable access from multiple clients.

A related issue is encryption on the incoming and outgoing connections. Current clients and servers seem to use some variant of TLS for both.

I do not like IMAP; POP is better for my needs.

Things now are working well using getmail to download from POP3 to the
maildir on my computer.  And I have getmail set to mark for deletion
after download.
As to leaving messages on the server: until a few years ago I was
working in more than one location and thus was using web interface
clients, but when I switched ISP the download (using getmail) to get
the messages from the POP3 server to my machine took a number of
24-hour days.  That was an expensive lesson.  And I am glad to be back
with mutt, as opposed to web interface.

getmail has the ability to use the standard method of encryption for
the transfer.