Re: Buster without systemd? [with backtrack]

On Wed 25 Mar 2020 at 20:18:29 (+0000), Liam O'Toole wrote:

> For what it's worth, Network Manager doesn't need a GUI either. Tools
> such as nmcli and nmtui allow you to configure and control network
> connections from the command line.

There seems to be some confusion in this subthread. Going back a little:

    On Tue 24 Mar 2020 at 10:44:54 (-0500), David Wright wrote:
    > I looked at what documentation I could find, but carried on using
    > wicd-curses, and the arch wiki seems to agree with what I found:
    >    "systemd-networkd does not have a proper interactive management
    >     interface neither via command-line nor graphical".
    > The interface is what matters when you're travelling with a laptop.

So this is a conversation about systemd-networkd, not NetworkManager,
in a thread that's about systemd, not Gnome or any other desktop/DE.

I think the next message in the subthread led to others' confusion,
so I'm going to add two annotations to the quote (which should clarify
what I understand it to mean), and then repeat the reply I gave before:

On Tue 24 Mar 2020 at 20:34:24 (+0100), deloptes wrote:
> David Wright wrote:
>
> > I looked at what documentation I could find, but carried on using
> > wicd-curses, and the arch wiki seems to agree with what I found:
> >
> > "systemd-networkd does not have a proper interactive management
> > interface neither via command-line nor graphical".
> >
> > The interface is what matters when you're travelling with a laptop.
>
> But the purpose of systemd is not to give you an interface. This is provided

                     ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ Here, I presume the word intended is "systemd-networkd".
                   ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
> by each desktop. Systemd will give you the low level service management -
> AFAIK it works via dbus.

                       Here, I presume that the "network manager" that systemd
		       ↓        is talking to (via dbus) is systemd-networkd,
		       ↓        and *not* NetworkManager (aka network-manager).
		       ↓
                       ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
> systemd <-> dbus <-> network-manager
>     network-manager-interface
>
> This is my understanding how it works or should work.

I don't want a desktop. In fact, wicd doesn't even need X, as it can
run quite happily on a VC to configure a new AP.

When I return to somewhere I have been before, wicd (the daemon)
usually connects before I have typed my passphrase to unlock /home.
(That assumes I'm logging in.)

Cheers,
David.