Re: NAS software for Raspberry Pi that supports full range of client OS (Win-10, MacOS-X, Linux) ?

Linux-Fan wrote:

>> So the conclusion is to take the SATA extention/expansion board.
>> I saw some of them (4 ports) are coming with external power supply. IMO
>> it doesn't matter what "regular" system you take, cause the disk has the
>> same power consumption be it on the "regular" or on the rpi.
>
> I said "regular" so unspecifically, because for most people, RPI / ARM SBC
> style computers are not "regular". From my experience, it is more
> difficult to install Debian on them and even then less software is
> comptabile -- mostly if you need proprietary stuff, but this can include
> self-written¹...

Well ... the subject here is for Rpi

https://shop.allnetchina.cn/products/dual-sata-hat-open-frame-for-raspberry-pi-4

> Also, never underestimate the OS disk: RPIs boot off a microSD card. I am
> surprised that my Banana Pi M2+EDU still runs on its first card after more
> than two years, so it seems to be possible to get some reliability out of
> the cards. Still, if thinking about a RAID1 of HDDs, to comploete the
> reliability consideration, one would possibly like to boot the OS off a
> RAID1 as well; impossible with RPI AFAICT...

Here it boots off tftp and has no card at all. The first RPi has one 512mb
(may be 15y/o) with only the boot stuff there.

>> I don't understand how power consumption can raise significantly because
>> of the board? Do you mean that processing the data demands more power on
>> the CPU?
>
> Processing data on ARM may even be more efficient than on amd64. I meant
> the relation between the board's operating power and the disks'. If you
> calculate 4W for each disk and 4W for the board you already spend two
> times the power on disks than on the board. I know that there are amd64
> systems available with ~15W idle power consumption. Add two disks: ~23W --
> still maybe twice as much as for an equivalent RPI system, but much easier
> to setup and from my personal point of view it is more the kind of
> technolgoy to which I am used (i.e. simplified maintenance).

But those disks have equal power consumption independent if it is on RPi
or "regular" system. The regular consumes more power because of the CPU and
board. I prefer smaller like the RPi with about 10-15W is OK

>> Look here exactly for the purpose:

https://shop.allnetchina.cn/products/dual-sata-hat-open-frame-for-raspberry-pi-4

> They seem to recommend using an ATX PSU for 3.5" HDDs, so it is getting
> more similar to a "regular" PC and finding a case for all this is getting
> more difficult? :)

No because the regular PC would consume more power because of the CPU and
other stuff on it.

Regarding the case - you can usually put anything smaller in something
bigger - there are even boxes for nas that a RPi and few disks will fit.

> ¹) Yes, I was already bitten by this; details available for interested
> parties

Perhaps not the only one - especially when you are not that familiar with
electricity.