Re: Buster without systemd?

On Tuesday 24 March 2020 09:38:08 David Wright wrote:

> On Tue 24 Mar 2020 at 06:42:44 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Static IPs and /etc/hosts works just fine here with
> > > systemd-networkd / systemd-resolved and Network Manager.

> > > [citation needed]
> >
> > My own posting about it in just the past year, but that posting was
> > only done after the problem was solved. As its a bit hard to post
> > from the machine that has a bogus routing setup. With dhcpd5 (I
> > think thats the right name) in the system it does no good to put the
> > correct route as a gateway statement in your /e/n/interfaces tree.
>
> Hm, you thought you'd probably fixed the problem IIRC while composing
> your post of Sat, 6 Jul 2019 21:38:10 -0400, after a couple of days of
> back-and-forth here, and after being asked to move the discussion here
> from a different list.
>
> > So that and avahi generally get nuked.
>
> Most of us avoid installing packages, rather than nuking them.

Installed by default, and the defaults are WRONG.

> Oh, but I almost forgot, it wasn't a Debian system in any case.
>
> > IMNSHO both were written to screw up networking,
> > their only possible reason-de-tere.
>
> Shame on you, sir.

Maybe so, but lots of this could be moved to debian IF debian could be so
kind as to supply us with a buildable preempt-rt kernel that works as
well as the default kernel does but many microseconds quicker. Raspbian
does at least supply the src code although they do not otherwise support
it. Either that, or help the RTAI guy keep up with the changeing
landscape between cpu architectures.  That would be even better.

> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)