Re: Buster without systemd?

On Tuesday 24 March 2020 06:04:10 Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Lu, 23 mar 20, 18:42:49, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Thats a problem I don't have Greg. I went to a locally defined hosts
> > file 30+ years ago for all my private resolutions, and it Just
> > Works. Queries that go out on the wire for resolution are relayed to
> > the dns services of my provider. Resolution times for external sites
> > are sub 100 millisecond as a general rule. Thats ALL handled by my
> > router running dd-wrt which I think is using dnsmasq.
> >
> > Yet every time I promote such a structure as a solution to someones
> > local network problems I am the idiot according to you for not using
> > dhcp globally. I don't enjoy being painted as an a-hole for using
> > something that Just Works.  So I've quit unless you or someone like
> > you pulls my chain.
>
> Static IPs and /etc/hosts works just fine here with systemd-networkd /
> systemd-resolved and Network Manager.
>
> > For the "vast majority of system's", as I install them, the first
> > thing I have to do is uninstall that stuff as it has yet in the last
> > 5 years, to use anything in the routing table but the avahi supplied
> > 169.xx.cc.nn address which is not allowed off the premises by
> > dd-wrt.
>
> [citation needed]

My own posting about it in just the past year, but that posting was only
done after the problem was solved. As its a bit hard to post from the
machine that has a bogus routing setup. With dhcpd5 (I think thats the
right name) in the system it does no good to put the correct route as a
gateway statement in your /e/n/interfaces tree. So that and avahi
generally get nuked. IMNSHO both were written to screw up networking,
their only possible reason-de-tere.

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

To you too Andrei.