Re: Speed of USB ports on Inspiron 1501

On 2020-03-22 17:30, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks to all who replied, to either this thread or my other related one, "OT:
Questions about (buying and) using a laptop docking station".

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 03:37:57 PM David Christensen wrote:

So, ~$110 for better wired network performance and the convenience of
one cable vs. five cables, on a machine that is overdue for replacement.

The saying is, "throwing good money after bad".

Perhaps.  I need / want a docking station of some sort in any case (i.e., even
if I later upgrade the laptop), and this looks like a reasonable choice,
especially because I need VGA output to go through my KVM switch (which had to
match one of my (mini-)tower computers which has only VGA output (no HDMI).

(I need / want the docking station so I can easily unplug the laptop to take
it to various meetings (of which there are less of lately because of the
Covid19 thing).

I did learn about ExpressCards / Cardbus, and found a dual USB 3.0 ExpressCard
on ebay for under $10.

I've ordered both and I'll see what happens.  If I have to upgrade the laptop,
that remains a possibility.

If I am reading the user manual for my E1505 and the Intel ICH7 datasheet correctly, the ExpressCard port in my laptop should be PCIe 1x at 2.5 Gbps. I would expect your E1501 to be equivalent (?).

Please let us know how the ExpressCard dual USB 3.0 adapter and docking station work with Debian.

Be prompt about testing and keep all the boxes, packaging, etc., in pristine condition, so you can return everything within the time window if there are problems.

David