Re: Speed of USB ports on Inspiron 1501

On 2020-03-22 10:10, rhkramer wrote:
Background:

I'm now thinking about buying a Wavlink USB 3.0 Display Universal Docking
Station Dual Video HDMI/DVI/VGA,
USB 3.0 & USB 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet Ports, Earphone & Mic in/out, Plug and
Play For Windows Mac & Android 5.x Above - Black

to use as a docking station for my Inspiron 1501 (because it is on sale today
at Newegg).

https://www.newegg.com/black-wavlink-ug39dk1/p/1DN-0023-00005?
reviews=all&Item=9SIA6PF3RX9775&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ShellShocker&cm_mmc=EMC-
SD032020-_-SD03222020-_-Item-_-9SIA6PF3RX9775&tp=i-1NHD-Q7H-1Hk-27tE1G-2G-
BLEn-1c-6C6-267oWf-
l4P01kz1G5-7m9VI&om_rid=1948861950&om_mid=4944&email64=cmhrcmFtZXJAZ21haWwuY29t

It doesn't specifically say (in the specs) that it works with Linux, but one of
the reviewers / commentors / customers mentions that he uses it with Linux
(and, iiuc, that requires use of a DisplayLink driver).

My other concern is with the speed of the USB ports.

The description claims that it works with either a USB 3.0 or a USB 2.0
connection to the laptop (the 1501's USB ports are 2.0).  I think that would
work for me if the USB 2.0 port (or at least one of them) was the high speed
version (480 Mbps) (vs. the "standard" USB 2.0 which seems to be 12 Mbps.

(I say this because I don't (and don't intend to play games on this machine,
or view things like youtube videos which might require a high video
bandwidth.)

getting to the question:

So, I'm trying to find the speed of the USB ports.  I've struck out on googling
for the information online, so I started digging into trying to find the
information in Linux.

I found some instructions online that suggest running the command:

rhk@s32:~$ cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb?/speed

And I see this:

480
12
12
12
12
12

I've also experimented with viewing other parameters in the /sys/bus/usb/
devices/usb?

Some of the results indicate that there are 6 USB "devices" (let me say,
internal to the computer), but there are only 4 actual external physical
ports.

I don't know if maybe one of them (usb1) is 480 Mbps and the others are 12
Mbps, or maybe the 480 Mbps is either an internal port (with no physical port)
or maybe something like a bus speed for the combination of all 6 USB ports.

I will continue to experiment, but any suggestions are welcome.

PS: I am subscribed to the mail list under a slightly different email address
and will be able to view responses.

I bought a refurbished Dell E1505 in 2007. It appears to have the same externals as your E1501. It works well enough with Windows XP, Debian, and FressBSD. Over the years I have invested in various upgrades and repairs -- Intel 64-bit processor (exceeds factory specifications), 2 @ 1 GB memory modules (maximum supported), 60 GB SSD, Intel Wi-Fi adapter, replacement DVD-RW drive, replacement CPU fan, replacement batteries, etc.. It is my desktop daily driver. I use a Core i7-2600S tower when I need more power.

If I bought that docking station, I would connect VGA 1080p (187 MB/s at 30 fps), Gigabit Ehternet (100 MB/s), USB 2.0 keyboard (<1 MB/s), USB 2.0 mouse (<1 MB/s), and audio (<1 MB/s). The USB 2.0 ports on my E1505 max out around 30 MB/s, which is asking for problems. So, I would also need to buy an Express Card to USB 3.0 adapter (I would get the StarTech 54mm dual port USB 3.0 for $41).

So, ~$110 for better wired network performance and the convenience of one cable vs. five cables, on a machine that is overdue for replacement.

The saying is, "throwing good money after bad".

I would put my money into a used, refurbished, etc., Dell Latitude or Precision laptop with a second-generator or newer Intel Core processor and integrated graphics. eBay has several to choose from at that price level:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=dell+latitude&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_udhi=100&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc&_oaa=1&_dcat=177

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xdell+precision.TRS1&_nkw=dell+precision&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_udhi=100&_osacat=0&_odkw=dell+latitude+6520+i7-2720QM&LH_BIN=1

Desktops are cheaper.

Cosmetic grade C, incomplete, parts-only, etc., machines are even cheaper.

David