Re: Buster without systemd?

On 2020-03-22 at 21:21, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> Supposedly, one can install/upgrade to Buster while maintaining sysv
> as init.  Or has this changed.  Over the past several months I have
> been attempting to upgrade to Buster, but I have been completely
> unsuccessful.
>
> Has anyone managed to upgrade to Buster without installing systemd,
> or jumping through hoops that would drive a lion tamer mad?
>
> I made a copy of all of my partitions so that I could do the upgrade
>  while maintaining Stretch in case something went wrong. I'm glad
> that I did!
>
> The first time that I tried this, I actually managed to upgrade to
> Buster and have everything appear to work.  Then I realized that I
> had only done an "upgrade" but not a "full-upgrade".  After that, X
> would not start.  I have, as I said, spent several months trying to
> get X working on Buster without systemd.  I have not been successful.
> None of my later attempts ever got a working Buster with X, at all.

How are you starting X?

I start it manually from the console via startx, and in order for that
to work, I've needed the xserver-xorg-legacy package and some matching
settings configured locally.

IIRC that around the time of the systemd switchover (not necessarily
tied to systemd itself), there were changes made in the way X is to be
launched, such that with the right configuration it can be run without
root rights - but that if you don't have that configuration, and you're
not launching X as root directly, you need this "legacy" setup. Last
time I was looking at it, I don't think I found any practical way to do
that configuration without systemd or some replication of part of its
functionality.

For what it's worth, I track current testing, and the only
systemd-related packages on my system that I know of are libsystemd0 and
udev. I certainly don't have any problems with starting X.

I did the initial upgrade around the time of the original init-systems
GR, and have been tracking testing in this way ever since; the most I've
had to do is wrangle some package pins to avoid having some dependency
attempt to install libpam-systemd (and therefore switch the init system
to systemd) on package install or dist-upgrade, and that hasn't been
particularly hard for quite some time now.

--
   The Wanderer