Re: Ancilliary server accesses by browser.

On Fri 20 Mar 2020 at 09:15:58 (-0700), peter@easthope.ca wrote:
>     From: Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org>
>     Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 18:31:17 -0400
> > Firefox and Chrome both have developer tools which will start
> > and stop such logging for you; look in their menus under Web
> > Developer (FF) ...
>
> Thanks.  That produces a nice display.  It can be printed from a
> screenshot but for many Web pages the report won't fit on one screen.
> Therefore I wonder about a more direct means to get a hardcopy report.
> These are instructions found by Google.
>
> 1. Go to Menu > Web Developer > Network.
> 2. Reload the page you want to get the log for.
> 3. Perform the steps to cause the behavior/issue.
> 4. Right click > Save All as HAR.
> 5. Click on Console tab > Select All.
> 6. Right-Click > Copy Message, and paste it / save on a . txt file.
>
> Makes sense down to 5.  That selects a panel of the display but I want
> a hardcopy similar to the screen after step 3. Ideas?
>
> Syntax of the HAR file is JSON.  How is a HAR normally used?

I'm not familiar with HAR, do I googled it. The wiki page has external
references, one of which points to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmsLJHikRf8
Does this help?

I don't know what behaviour/issue you're chasing down, so I'll just
post how I typically save web pages.

1) Basic screenshot with scrot, producing a PNG/JPG/TIFF. Limited area.

2) ^P to print the page. Works well for pages produced by 'serious'
   people, but often unsatisfactory for pages with a high 'coo factor'.
   Pagination can be flaky.

3) When only the text is interesting, copy and paste with ^A^C in the
   browser, and Paste as appropriate in your favourite editor, ready
   for any tidying up.

   When you hit ^A (select all), check that everything you want has
   been selected (reverse video). There may be things, like tweet
   panels, that get omitted.

4) Extended screenshot. RightClick on page, select Take a Screenshot,
   click on Save Full Page, click on Download.

   The resulting file might be a PNG or JPG, possibly depending on
   the proportion of image content. FF might fail with an error,
   or fail silently, when too complicated.

   Some application can't read such a tall file. Ones that often do:
   gpicview, mupdf, xzgv. The last is easiest to navigate by keyboard.

Perhaps something here will work for you.

Cheers,
David.