Re: OT Filing for free vs Free File, was Re: Simple software for a scanner … LIDE 700F)

On Mon 09 Mar 2020 at 14:22:12 (-0500), John Hasler wrote:
> David Wright writes:
> > Obviously I'm not giving advice on either (which would probably be
> > illegal)
>
> It's never illegal to give *free* advice.

Perhaps not, but some might prefer to keep their heads below the
parapet when even citizens' lives rank lower than maintaining
statistics that could affect the economy. Anyway, here is a recent and
an older link for those mystified by my first post in this OT thread:

https://econsultancy.com/us-tax-return-prep-companies-can-no-longer-direct-search-engines-not-to-index-their-free-file-landing-pages/
https://qz.com/1307700/free-file-many-americans-who-file-taxes-online-are-paying-unnecessary-fees/

Because tax submission is not something that's made public, you can
see that there's a difficulty for just any old company to go
ambulance-chasing. OTOH where there's a public record (analogous to
a street accident), it's easier for them to move in:

https://www.aptac-us.org/sam-registration-is-free-be-careful-what-you-pay-for/

(I picked that example at random. I've no financial or other interest
in any company. I'd just like the best for people who read this list.)

Cheers,
David.