Simple software for a scanner with ability to crop (CanoScan LIDE 700F)

Is there a simple program to use a scanner (CanoScan LIDE 700F) on any of
Wheezy, Jessie, or Buster?  It needs to have the ability to crop an image.

I dread the idea of trying to set it up in CUPS, in fact, iirc, last time I
tried it in CUPS (which was quite a while ago (5 years? longer?)), I could not
find a driver (either there was no driver, or maybe there was a "maybe" driver
(a driver that might work for several different scanners, but did not work for
me -- that was probably under Wheezy)).  (If CUPS is the only possibility, I
probably won't even try, partly because I'm in something of a hurry.)

Background: I'm trying to do taxes for a few of my friends using H&R Block's
free online software (they qualify, as all their income is due to wages).  The
online software has the ability to automatically read (i.e., OCR) W2s from a
picture.  It is inconvenient for me to take the pictures for various reasons
(among them, my camera does not have an interface (USB or anything else) to
connect to a computer, I have to take the pictures, save them to an SD card,
then move them to the computer, and somewhere in the process, crop them so
they have a minimal border on all sides, another is setting up the camera on a
tripod and aimed at a suitable dark background and held flat).

The feature in the H&R Block software is named "Snap-a-pic W-2 capture", and
I'm not 100% sure it will work with an image from a scanner, but it seems
worth a try -- it would be much easier in many ways.

At least one of my friends is anxious to get her tax refund (I'm sure they all
are, but she is most anxious).

Suggestions?