Re: OT Filing for free vs Free File, was Re: Simple software for a scanner … LIDE 700F)

On 2020-03-09, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 06 Mar 2020 at 12:17:23 (-0500), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Background: I'm trying to do taxes for a few of my friends using H&R Block's
>> free online software (they qualify, as all their income is due to wages).
>
> One hopes that you've distinguished between 'filing for "free"' and
> the actual IRS Free File Program.
>
> https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/about-the-free-file-program

As usual I'm uncertain what you're driving at here, and what distinction should
be made, as H&R Block participates in the IRS Free File Program.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

  https://www.hrblock.com/ffa/?otpPartnerID=180&campaignID=pw_mcm_180_0001
  Receive a free Federal return if:
  Your Adjusted Gross Income is $69,000 or less, AND your age is between 17 and 51, OR
  You are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, OR
  Free for Active Military for Adjusted Gross Income of $69,000 or less
  Same criteria apply when filing with a foreign address
  Free state return if you qualify for the federal return

I must be missing something once again.

I personally ended up paying 30 bucks to efile because Turbo Tax (into whose
freefile criteria I fit this year) is unable to put 'NRA' into an SSN numerical
field (which is what you do when you're married filing separately and your NRA
spouse neither has nor requires a TIN), whereas another firm across the cyber
street can and does (but for a fee, as I don't match their criteria for a
freebie).

--
"When we encounter computer output that looks like what we produce by thinking,
we are liable to credit the computer with thought... By that rule of inference,