Re: Simple software for a scanner with ability to crop (CanoScan LIDE 700F)

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 18:30:31 -0500
rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Friday, March 06, 2020 02:55:56 PM Brian wrote:

> > > Yes, it's a lib:
> > >   tomas@trotzki:~$ apt-file search genesys
> > >   libsane: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-genesys.so.1
> > >   libsane:
> > > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-genesys.so.1.0.27 [...]
> >
> > Indeed it is. It is a backend to SANE. The Project says that support
> > for the CanoScan 700F is "Good". The OP seems to have a good chance
> > of getting it scanning.
> >
> > Meanwhile, he has probably devoted some time to reading the wiki.
>
> Well, I am digging into the documentation, I might get to the wiki,
> or I might keep pursuing Windows ...
>
> The list of SANE: Supported Devices
> at:
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON
>
> Says there is good support for the CanoScan 700F but does not list
> support at all for the CanoScan LiDE 700F (but does have separate
> listing for several other models differentiated by LiDE, e.g.
> CanoScan 600 vs. CanoScan LiDE 600 (I'm guessing about 10 different
> models like this).
>
> I vaguely remember / suspect this is what I ran into last time I
> tried this. I will do a little more reading, I don't know what the
> LiDE indicates...

Nothing bad in itself. I have a LiDE 20 which is literally twenty years
old, which works fine on simple-scan. I inherited it from my wife, when
it turned out that Win7/64 didn't have a driver for it, though win7/32
had.

--
Joe