Re: Simple software for a scanner with ability to crop (CanoScan LIDE 700F)

On Fri, Mar 06, 2020 at 07:02:27PM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2020 at 12:51:04PM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I'll look into simple-scan.
>
> Simple-scan is also based on libsane (as Xsane is). It also depends
> on all those "desktop goodies" as dbus-session, xdg-utils, gsettings
> and friends, which you might like -- or not. So it may be called
> "simple" but Xsane is definitely simpler -- although most definitely
> not as shiny.

Like you, my preference is xsane as a fromtend to SANE. However, I do
not think it is the lack of shinyness that puts users off using it.
Not completely, anyway. What is perceived as the plethora of options
and things to click on is a factor, particulary when it comes to new
or casual users.

And don't forget - Ubuntu and Mint (both widely used) ship simple-scan.
That is what their users are familiar with. It doesn't do a bad job.

--
Brian.`