Re: Simple software for a scanner with ability to crop (CanoScan LIDE 700F)

On 2020-03-06, rhkramer@gmail.com <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Background: I'm trying to do taxes for a few of my friends using H&R Block's
> free online software (they qualify, as all their income is due to wages).  The
> online software has the ability to automatically read (i.e., OCR) W2s from a
> picture.  It is inconvenient for me to take the pictures for various reasons
> (among them, my camera does not have an interface (USB or anything else) to
> connect to a computer, I have to take the pictures, save them to an SD card,
> then move them to the computer, and somewhere in the process, crop them so
> they have a minimal border on all sides, another is setting up the camera on a
> tripod and aimed at a suitable dark background and held flat).

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/support/software/software-tax-filing/while-filing-software-return/photo-capture/

 To use photo capture in H&R Block Software products:

 1. Take a pic of your W-2 with your phone.
 2. We’ll text you a secure link. You’ll only need internet access to use the link — no app required.
 3. Open the link on your phone.
 4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
 5. Once the upload is done, confirm the data from your W-2 photo upload to
    make sure it’s all correct.

(Phone not included.)

I'm not sure, but maybe you need one (a smartphone) to use the photo
capture feature. (BTW, I use simple-scan, after having used xsane for
many years, and would recommend it, if anyone cared. I was unaware that
it was somehow infra dig for the many purists among us.)

--
Nous fîmes l'amour longtemps, à la façon des craquements qui se produisent dans
les meubles. Nous fîmes l'amour comme le soleil bat, comme les cercueils