Re: Is there a way to load/unload a firmware manually?

On 06/03/2020 16:49, deloptes wrote:
> I think if the intel driver is not compiled in the kernel, you do not
> have to compile the firmware.
>
> So what you are actually saying, that when you have the stock kernel
> and load the intel driver, it does not pick up the firmware?
>
> Can you confirm this?
No, I'm using my own kernel and not the Debian's one, but I didn't have
to build the firmware into the kernel image before (in the case of the
old WiFi card and old laptop). Now after I moved in to the new laptop
I have to, and I don't know why.

I just checked, and it looks like the usr/lib/firmware/ dir is included
in the stock Debian kernel's initrd image, but it's not in mine kernel's
initrd. That's weird because I generate the images via
*update-initramfs -u -k all* all the time. So why does one have this dir
included and the other not? I think when I find out what's going on here
I will solve this riddle. I bet something is missing in the kernel config.