Re: now gmail rant

On Vi, 06 mar 20, 08:26:34, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > > https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51467536
> > >
> > > I think that's the German *BND* Federal Intelligence Service (at least
> > > according to the BBC).
>
> > I've heard from some intelligent services - they do not use any electronic
> > devices and after those news I know why.
> >
> > Same for the naive using proton mail or whatever. The best way to protect
> > whatever you want to protect is to keep it offline.
>
> My policy on email is simple: I assume that everyone in the world
> can read it, if they truly want to take the time and spend the resources
> to do so.  If I don't want a secret to get out, I don't send it via
> email.  Doesn't matter who the recipient is, what "security" arrangements
> are in place, etc.

That's quite "all or nothing" :)

I tend to adjust my level of (perceived) protection depending on the
sensitivity of the information, e.g. I don't have a problem posting from
a Gmail account to a public mailing list, on the other hand my bank
statements go to a ProtonMail account (which I do trust a lot more than
Gmail, regardless of what other companies in the same country did).

Kind regards,
Andrei