Re: Is there a way to load/unload a firmware manually?

Mikhail Morfikov wrote:

> I'm just asking because I had a BCM WiFi card in my previous laptop and
> that card needed firmware-brcm80211 . Now I have a new laptop, and it
> has an Intel WiFi, which needs firmware-iwlwifi . I have the same setup
> (LUKSv2+LVM), and the exact same system (it was moved to the new laptop),
> and in the case of the Intel WiFi I have to compile the firmware into
> the kernel using the following kernel options:
>
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode"
>
> So the question I'm asking myself is why weren't the options needed in
> the case of my old WiFi card? It also wanted its firmware but it looks
> like it could be loaded after the system partition was decrypted. So
> it's weird...

I think if the intel driver is not compiled in the kernel, you do not have
to compile the firmware.

So what you are actually saying, that when you have the stock kernel and
load the intel driver, it does not pick up the firmware?

Can you confirm this?