Re: Is there a way to load/unload a firmware manually?

On 06/03/2020 07:50, deloptes wrote:
> So if you compile the driver static in the kernel I am not sure 100%
> but it should have the firmware already somewhere to be loaded. This
> is interesting question. I think most of the usecases include using
> initrd that would have driver and firmware.

I'm just asking because I had a BCM WiFi card in my previous laptop and
that card needed firmware-brcm80211 . Now I have a new laptop, and it
has an Intel WiFi, which needs firmware-iwlwifi . I have the same setup
(LUKSv2+LVM), and the exact same system (it was moved to the new laptop),
and in the case of the Intel WiFi I have to compile the firmware into
the kernel using the following kernel options:

CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode"

So the question I'm asking myself is why weren't the options needed in
the case of my old WiFi card? It also wanted its firmware but it looks
like it could be loaded after the system partition was decrypted. So
it's weird...