Re: Advice on upgrading to SSD

rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 04, 2020 09:47:47 AM Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> > Gene didn't address my problem, but made the very useful observation
> > that disks spinning 24/7 don't really die. Perhaps I shouldn't worry
> > about replacing them.
>
> I wouldn't count on that, for two reasons:
>
>    * everything mechanical wears, and eventually wears out (well, maybe not if
> the bearings are a magnetic suspension type) (no moving parts in contact)
>
>    * I suspect most of us don't know whether our disks are spinning 24/7 --
> some of my computers are up 24/7, but I suspect the disks "spin down" when
> unused for some period of time

Some do, some don't. Drives sold as "laptop" or "green" drives
are more likely to do so by themselves.

There used to be (still?) a set of Western Digital drives that
would go into a hard sleep and park their heads repeatedly. This
tended to cause a shortened lifespan as well as terrible
performance.

-dsr-