Re: Advice on upgrading to SSD

On 3/4/20, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>> some of my computers are up 24/7, but I suspect the disks "spin down" when
>>
>> unused for some period of time
>
> Some do, some don't. Drives sold as "laptop" or "green" drives
> are more likely to do so by themselves.
>
> There used to be (still?) a set of Western Digital drives that
> would go into a hard sleep and park their heads repeatedly. This
> tended to cause a shortened lifespan as well as terrible
> performance.

I remember seeing AND possibly sharing here on Debian-User about a
BIOS setting that let the User decide whether to let disks like that
make that decision on their own..

SOMETHING like that, anyway.. My Dell PC power supply started working
again.. and then finally fritzed for good so I can't go in to check
exactly what it said. I THINK that's the computer that had that
CHOICE.. Dell XPS.... 420.... grin.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey