Re: new, not nice web bots disposal

On Thursday 27 February 2020 03:50:34 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 04:40:45PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > My reasoning too. I'd much druther be a black hole that doesn't even
> > have any Hawking Radiation.
>
> The bigger the hole, the less Hawking radiation :)
>
> [...]
>
> > In that event, and given that a /24 rule caught them, how many out
> > of that /24 get the reject message?
>
> Since the REJECT is part of the TCP connection establishment, only
> one is the target of this response (how many actually /can/ see it
> in their local segment is anyone's guess, but these days of
> intelligent switches, segments tend to be small-ish).
>
> > The iptables docs aren't that talkative... No need to bang on the
> > other 255 customers in that block that are not offenders.  That
> > wouldn't be at all neighborly. And likely would make the situation
> > much worse.
>
> Go, no: run to your Internet Library [1] and read up until the section
> "Connection Establishment" (no worries: it's early in that book).
>
> And for people behind restricted Internets: Wikipedia is downloadable!
>
> Alternatively go to your paper library and present yourself with one
> copy of R.W. Stevens "TCP-IP Illustrated". Not the most modern, but
> one of the best.

This library is a joke, the librarian is scared shitless of copyright
law.  When I retired, I had an 18 year collection of McGraw-Hill's
Electronics magazine, from which anybody that could read, could get
himself the equ of the best education in electronics available anyplace
on the planet, hopeing I might plant a seed in some youngster. Several
hundred lbs of it since a year was at least 5-6" on the shelf. I went
back to see how they were displayed about a week later, they weren't,
the bitch had filed them in the trash bin and they'd already been picked
up.  I went home and cry'd. To me, that was the equ of burning the
Library of Alexandria.  That magazine was at least half my education in
electronics. At that point, in 18 years as CE at WDTV, one piece of gear
had been returned to the maker for repair, a Canuk outfit that didn't an
american to fix his stuff, I kept everything else ticking along and the
case cow fresh.  And you'd be amazed at how quick a news dept. can
demolish a $30,000 camera.

Sure, I'm an old fart now, but as a child I had "The Nack" and I quit
school over a health issue in the 9th grade, and went to work fixing the
then (1948) new-fangled things called televisions, but consumers can be
a-h's, so I got an fcc 1st phone without cracking a book and switched to
broadcasting in the early 60's.  Then in '72 I saw where the local
community college was testing for the Certified Electronics Technician
certificate at their site in Norfolk NE.  So I drove the 15 miles down
from the tv station I was in charge of for Nebraska ETV, a klystron
powered transmitter on ch19, and laid my 20 bucks on the profs desk at
12:50, test to start at 13:00. 125 mostly multiple choice, and I handed
it back to him about 13:40. Accompanied by his raised eyebrows. Told him
my work history and 2 weeks later rx'd a Journeyman card, I had missed
2. That card says it all, and I have not failed to get the job I was
applying for since. That tells the viewer I do know what I'm talking
about even if he doesn't, which is usually the case.

No, that librarian gets no more support from me. The destruction of that
much knowledge was criminal in my view.
> Cheers
> -- t

Cheers, Gene Heskett