Re: Understanding the two-year release cycle as a desktop user (and a Debian newcomer)

Roberto writes:
> On strategy would be to run testing and not update too frequently.

I do that with Unstable.  Works fine (but I use neither Gnome nor KDE) I
follow the security list and upgrade the relevant package when I see
something there that matters to me.  Security fixes reach Unstable as
fast or faster than they reach Stable and often aren't even relevant to
Unstable since it is likely to have the newest release (which is where
upstream usually fixes security bugs).

I also scan debian-devel to keep any eye out for problems that might be
a reason *not* to upgrade.  Those have been very rare in recent years.

I often update packages rather than doing a full upgrade. I always do a
test update or upgrade and review the proposed changes looking closely
at any proposed removals.  Often when Apt can't find a workable update
or upgrade path Aptitude can.

Might be nice if there was a Debian deriviative based on this policy.
Perhaps there is.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com