Re: Anti-malware for my personal Debian workstation?

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 10:03:58AM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> I totally agree with Stefan: for an OS
> with a working and transparent patch/release cycle, "classical" AV
> strategy is nonsense.

The only sensible use of an anti-virus program on Linux is on a mail
server (or certain kinds of firewalls/proxies), to detect Windows viruses
that are passing through.

The use of an anti-virus program on Linux, which attempts to detect
Linux viruses, is patently ridiculous.  There just *aren't* any.  That
isn't the threat model that you need to worry about.

When you're talking about Linux security, on desktops, you're mostly
looking for holes in web browsers, office suites, media players, etc.

On Linux servers, you're looking for holes in the network services
that are exposed to the world.