Re: XFCE doesn't start

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 05:43:38PM -0700, ghe wrote:
> I've bent my system bad. When I boot, it comes up in the CLI -- not in
> slim, to XFCE. It does the regular login and the .bashrc tricks, and
> startx starts XFCE just fine.

Yay!  It's working!

... oh, you expected a graphical login?  Meh.  Those are so horrible.

But, if you want to diagnose your display manager, first figure out
which one you were trying to use.  Then query the state of its service
and look for its logs.

E.g. if you were trying to use lightdm, try

systemctl status lightdm
journalctl -u lightdm

Or, if you were trying to use gdm3, try

systemctl status gdm3
journalctl -u gdm3

You get the idea.  Also look for any firmware errors in dmesg output,
or anything suspicious in X's logs, or the general system logs.

You know, standard Linux/Unix troubleshooting.