Re: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) was broken after upgraded from stretch-backports.

Le mardi 18 février 2020 14:50:04 UTC+1, Nektarios Katakis a écrit :
> Στις 2020-02-18 12:41, Anastasios Lisgaras έγραψε:
[...]
[...]
> > Thank you for your answer. About "backports firmwares" what should I
> > do?
> > What do you have to recommend me?
> > ( I didn't know that at all )

cf https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

I think that the only firmwares installed are those you installed yourself manually (if any), no one is automatically pulled by default.
as root:
# aptitude search firmware
would display most of the firmwares (it's a search by names containing 'firmware' and some firmwares do not contain 'firmware' in their name). The status 'ii' means a firmware is installed.

What I meant previously is that it is preferable to have a firmware (related to a hardware) that is coherent with the driver for this hardware included in the kernel. So if you have a hardware that needs a firmware and you use a Backports kernel, it is probably preferable to install the Backports version of the needed firmware.

> > Finally, a very important question:
> > Can I go back to where I was before the update ( with only stretch
> > source ) ?
>
> You should definitely be able to do this since the `apt upgrade` command
> you
> ran ended without any errors (your system is not broken anyhow).
>
> > I mention this because the official documentation itself (and you)
> > states that you do not recommend what I did.
> >
> > There is a way to "I pull a rope" and go back to my sturdy/robust port
> > of stretch repositories/resources ?
>
> Simply revert the changes sources (apt edit-sources) and
> `apt update && apt upgrade`
[...]

I do not think this will do the trick: if I recall correctly, it will end up with Backports packages marked something like 'local' or 'obsolete' without being downgraded to their Strech version.

The best solution would probably to do a fresh install.
But if you want to take the chance, here is a trick to downgrade:
 https://wiki.debian.org/SystemDowngrade