Re: help with gitlab on buster

On 17/02/2020 22:41, David Wright wrote:
On Mon 17 Feb 2020 at 15:27:06 (+0000), Graham Seaman wrote:
I hadn't thought of running a VM clone of the server - might be
generally useful. But the server's main jobs are as a router,
firewall, dnsmasq, mail server, which is where the main problems
usually are in upgrades, and I think it would be hard to duplicate the
low-level comms stuff meaningfully in a VM
Would it be possible to run a live stretch system (or install one)
on another machine, onto which you copy the files from your server.
You should be able to install a version of gitlab old enough to
handle your old data. (If necessary, for stretch, read jessie.)

You might not know which non-Debian files *are* necessary for gitlab
to run but presumably you know which trees of files you *don't* need
on this system: anything to do with the "main jobs" you mentioned,
for example.

I decided John Doe was right, and gitlab is really overkill for what I need and likely to lead to extra work every time there's an upgrade as well (rails based apps always seem to have been a problem for me that way).  So I've extracted the git data and abandoned the gitlab part, and now I'm just using git from the command line, which is mostly what I was doing anyway. I might look at using gitweb in the future if I feel a need to get a web frontend back.

Graham