Re: help with gitlab on buster

On 17/02/2020 06:30, john doe wrote:
On 2/16/2020 11:45 PM, Graham Seaman wrote:

Of course, though this would be easier if I was more sure where
everything was. But the data's no use without the software to read it.

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/raketasks/backup_restore.html
Thanks - bit embarassing I didn't know that existed (I don't think there was a backup option when I first installed it). But I've done pretty much the same, but manually - rsyncing off the data files, psql_dump, etc.
Don't Gitlab has some kind of forum/mailing list?

Yes, it has many forums. I was just hoping someone working on the debian side might pick up on this - the debian layout seems rather different from the vanilla one(s), though maybe just because the version I had was so old.

This will not help you for now but the following could be useful in the
future:

If you have VMs available, I would suggest you to have a clone of your
production "server" and to first on this VM how the upgrade process goes.

I hadn't thought of running a VM clone of the server - might be generally useful. But the server's main jobs are as a router, firewall, dnsmasq, mail server, which is where the main problems usually are in upgrades, and I think it would be hard to duplicate the low-level comms stuff meaningfully in a VM

Also, Gitlab seems overkill in your situation, if you need Git, simply
use the Git package and a frontend if you like.

Definitely. I think I might abandon gitlab and go with something much simpler like gitweb. Ideally something I'm sure will be long-term supported.

As I don't use Gitlab myself, that's all I can help you with.

Kind of you to reply as a non-gitlab user! Thanks.

Graham

--
John Doe