Re: *nix

On 2020-02-17 16:29, Charles Curley wrote:
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 22:07:59 -0500
Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

(I fell off the stoop
after tripping over my dog's tether in the dark on the 4th of July,
1915, and spent most of the summer in various stages of recovery.)
Maybe some day I'll figure out how to dial a number on the phone.

I suspect that you find having to dial a phone a step backwards in
user interface technology.

For the young whippersnappers in the audience, telephone technology in
1915 required that one pick up the ear piece, wait for the operator to
acknowledge you, and tell her (it was usually a woman) to whom you
wished to speak. She would then connect you by re-arranging physical
patch cords to make physical connections.

And hope it wasn't a long distance call, which could take hours to set
up.

In the 50s I heard that you could tap out the number on the cradle in the public phone boxes and connect without inserting coins.

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31